By Ruth Ferguson, NDG Editor
In the race for Carrollton mayor featuring Kevin Falconer versus Steve Babick, it was clear Falconer’s get out the vote effort during early voting was successful. As the polls closed on June 10, the Dallas County Elections released the results from the ballots cast from May 30 to June 6. A decisive edge was in Falconer’s favor with 62 percent of the 3,537 votes received, Babick received 38 percent. It was a lead he would not relinquish.
This mayoral runoff election was one of the most hotly contested races in Dallas County. Only one race received more votes, the Dallas ISD for District 2 which featured Dustin Marshall versus Lori Kirkpatrick. Marshall easily won re-election by gaining 66 percent of the 9,326 votes cast. This comes after Kirkpatrick actually won the May 6 election by 300 votes. However, she did not gain the required 50 percent of the votes, which triggered yesterday’s runoff.
Falconer received 60 percent of the 5,300 votes received with the remaining 40 percent going to Babick. Many long-time residents see this most likely as business as usual for the suburb. A look at the endorsements received, reflect he was the establishment choice. Endorsements included one from the out-going Mayor Matthew Marchant, who is a member of the conservative family which includes his father Kenny Marchant, the current U.S. Representative for Texas’s 24th congressional district.
Babick, like Falconer, is a former city council member, received high-profile endorsements as well. One endorsement included was from the Carrollton Police and Fire Associations. He also received the endorsement of several current and former city council members as well as two former mayors, Ron Branson and Becky Miller.