Investigators credit a fire sprinkler system with greatly reducing damages to a restaurant following an early morning fire. An equipment malfunction is blamed for starting a kitchen fire at Posados, 9500 block of S.H. 121. Investigators say the restaurant is valued at more than $1.1 million; however, damages were limited to about $100,000 (building and contents). As a result, Posados will be closed at least five days for repairs.
“The fire sprinkler system did what it’s supposed to do,” said Captain Kevin Haines, Frisco Fire Department. “The restaurant was closed and no one was working at the time. That early in the morning, there are fewer people ‘out and about’, who might to notice and report a problem. In this case, the activated sprinklers slowed the fire’s ability to grow until firefighters arrived. There’s no doubt, fire sprinklers save property and lives.”
The restaurant’s alarm company alerted Frisco dispatchers about a ‘water flow’ at 5:08 a.m. When firefighters arrived at 5:14 a.m., they discovered a smoke filled kitchen. Additional units were called. The fire was ‘under control’ at 5:30 a.m.
Frisco Fire responded with four engines, two ladder trucks, two ambulances, and the department’s ‘Rescue’ and ‘Light and Air’ specialty units. No one was hurt.