Editor’s note: This column was originally published in October 2015.
By: Sister Shirley Tarpley, NDG Religion Editor
People are looking for answers to explain what has happened and why. But, we must not forget that God is still in control.
It is now time to be real with God. You can put on a “front” for everybody, but not God. He knows what is in our hearts and minds.
He said, “If my people which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14.
God is ultimately the one that is going reward you for what you do. Also, it is only what you do for Christ will last.
Things to Ponder: You can know all the scriptures, have all the Bibles that you can reach, but when push comes to shove, do you practice what you preach?
- Anyone can go to church and collapse on the floor, but when Judgment Day comes, will you be at Heaven’s door?
- You can have the biggest of fits and say the Holy Ghost passed through, but is that really reflected in the things you do?
- You can yell far and wide proclaiming your love for Christ, but what have you given Him when for you He gave His life.
- You can lecture others about the wrong things that they do, but before you look at others, you need to look at you.
- You can damn all the sinners; tell them that they are headed south, but what have you done, lately, besides run your mouth.
- You can call yourself a Christian; spend your days at church, but while you are praising His name, have you been doing the Lord’s work?
- You can boast of good deeds to show us the Spirit is within, but why show them to us? Show it to Him.
- You can memorize the Bible; know it from front to back, but don’t use it to regulate others, regulate how you act.
Take a good look at yourself, not at what others do, because when He comes to get His children, will “YOU” go too? –Author Unknown
Some encouraging verses from Psalms, Scriptures of Praise: In troubled times, remember:
“The Lord is God, and He has made His light to shine upon us. Psalms 118:27.
“Jesus alone is my rock, and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken.” Psalms 62:6.
“The Heavens declare the Glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands”. Psalms 19:1.
“The Lord reigns; let the Heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea